curriculum vitae – Kenny Jones
Assistance League of Houston Celebrates Texas Art Competition. My work, Fresh-faced Crypto-currency, was selected out of 800 entries by Juror Anna Katz, Assistant Curator, The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles.
Artful Makers Making Art Group Exhibition – One of four artists invited, displayed kinetic artwork, Endless Column Construction (After Brancusi). Artists and makers often overlap as they experiment with technology, technique, and materials throughout processes to create beautiful forms, representations, and unique artwork. From adapting found objects to repurposing natural tree limbs, or simply generating new work, each artist explores the intersections of making in his own way. The intent of this collaborative exhibition is not only to show visible and tangible evidences of such crossings but also display their use of creative thinking combined with visual forms. Cockerell Art Gallery, Abilene, TX, April 14 – May 4, 2016.
Art and Design Faculty Exhibit – ACU Shore Art Gallery, Abilene, TX, September 11 – October 21, 2015.
BCAA Competition & Art Exhibition, Cockerell Art Gallery, Abilene, TX, November 12 – December 11, 2015.
16th Annual SOT Juried Art Exhibition – My artwork “Untitled Scaffold” was accepted and exhibited. I was one of 86 artists selected by juror Benito Huerta out of 257 entries. The exhibit featured 144 artistic works from across the state of Texas at the Cultural Center, Brownwood, TX, February 2 – 15, 2014.
I was selected for publication in New American Paintings #108 – link to my page: http://www.newamericanpaintings.com/artists/kenny-jones
Towards A Clearing – My artwork was purchased by the Capital One permanent collection in Plano, Tx.
Terra Incognita, recent work by Robert Green, Kenny Jones, and Polly Jones, Cockerell Art Gallery, Abilene, TX, March 21 – April 19, 2013.
Third Coast National Exhibit at K Space Contemporary, Corpus Christi, TX. Juror: Christian Rees, curator of Moudy Gallery and Forth Worth Contemporary Arts, The Third Coast National is a non-thematic, juried exhibition of new works of art from all across the USA. September 15 – October 19, 2012
Houston Celebrates Texas Art 2012 Exhibit, Assistance League Juror, Robin Clark, Curator of Museum of Modern Art, San Diego, California, January 12 – February 24, 2012.
14th Annual Stars of Texas Juried Art Exhibit, Juror John Hartley, February, 5-17, 2012 151 artists from 53 cities throughout Texas entered a total of 356 pieces of artwork. I was one of the selected 119 artworks for the exhibit.
2011 13th Annual Stars of Texas Juried Art Exhibit at the Cultural Center, Brownwood, TX. From 361 pieces of art, juror Randy Bacon choose 136 for the show, February 6-18, 2011.
BCAA Competition & Art Exhibition, Cockerell Art Gallery, Abilene, TX, December 9, 2010 – February 5, 2011, Juror Elizabeth Yarosz-Ash. Best of Show award.
Texas National Art Exhibition, Judy Pfaff was Juror, April 10 – May 23, 2010 at The Cole Art Center, Nacogdoches, TX, my creative work was selected from over 1700 works of art, 600 artists entered the competition from 40 states.
Texas National Art Exhibition, Juror Mel Chin, The Cole Art Center, Nacogdoches, TX. This show included 113 works by 91 artists, chosen from entries by more than 350 artists from 39 states. April 4 – May 17, 2009
Assistance League of Houston Celebrates Texas Art 2009 Exhibit, Shelley Langdale, Juror, Associate Curator of Prints and Drawings Philadelphia Museum of Art, March 12 – April 17, 2009.
24th the Annual International Exhibition, juror Andy Rubin, Master Printer at Tandem Press, February 2 – March 13, 2009
BCAA Competition, Cockerall Art Gallery, Abilene, Tx, Award Third Place
Go Figure-ative, The Center for Contemporary Arts, Abilene, TX, Center Artist Member Group Exhibit
Palimpsest – layered work by Robert Green, Kenny Jones, and Polly Jones, Cockerell Art Gallery, Abilene, TX
Outside the Box, K Space Contemporary Gallery, Corpus Christi, Texas. I was one of 25 selected from artists that live outside the major metropolitan areas of Texas. Arturo Almeida, Art Curator for the University of Texas at San Antonio, selected art-works for the show. Three of my works were chosen for the exhibit: Knot (untitled), Rehearsal for a Spontaneous Event, and Elemental Grab.
Art and Design Faculty Exhibit, “And He Said . . ., The Logia of Yeshua, EAR(S)HEAR”, Shore Gallery, ACU, Abilene, TX
“Synesthesia & Still Life: Work by Kenny & Polly Jones”, Lasszie-faire Art Gallery, TN
2004 Solo Exhibit, “See/Saw: Peripherals & Blindspots, Recent Work by Kenny Jones”, The Renaissance Center Art Gallery, Dickson, TN.
2003 5th Annual Regional Art Exhibit, Juried Group Competition, The Renaissance Center, TN.
Juried Art Exhibit, Memphis Arts in The Park, Audubon Park, Memphis, TN.
4th Annual Renaissance Regional Art Exhibit, Juried Group Competition, The Renaissance Center, Dickson, TN.
2001 Contain-Defer-Recover, Memphis Arts in The Park, Special Projects Sculpture Exhibit, Memphis Botanic Garden, Memphis, TN.
2000 Ear Turn, Memphis Arts in The Park, Special Projects Special Projects Sculpture Exhibit, Memphis Botanic Garden, Memphis, TN.
AWARDS, HONORS, EXPERIENCES
- Judge’s Best of Show for artwork “Net Effects (After Turner)”, 2010BCAA Competition, Juror Elizabeth Yarosz-Ash.
- Third Place Award for artwork “Bodies of Water”, 2008 BC Art Association Competition, juried exhibit & awards.
- Cullen Research Grant in Art, Research for art production research, 2006 & 2012 ACU Stipend Award
- Judge’s Best of Show Choice Award for artwork “Sounds Falling Outside of Speech”, 5th Annual Renaissance Regional Art Exhibit, Judge: Terry Thacker.
- 1st Place Award for artwork “Differing & Deferring”, Juried Art Exhibit, Memphis Arts in The Park, Audubon Park, Memphis, TN
- Judge’s Best of Show Choice Award, for artwork “Pronouns Against Pronouns”, 4th Annual Renaissance Regional Art Exhibit , Judges: Susan Knowles and Sergei Shillabeer
- 1st Place Award for artwork “Contain-Defer-Recover”, Memphis Art in the Park, Special Projects category, Juror: Shamin Momin, Curator, Whitney Museum of American Art at Philip Morris, New York City
- 1st Place Award for Sculpture “Arched Talk”, Memphis Art in the Park, Special Projects category, Juror: Lowery Sims
- I was the Producer for the experimental film,” Cell(s)“. This film was awarded Best Film of 2006 at the ACU Filmfest. I worked with BFA art students Alex York (awarded Best director, Best Technical Director, Best Production Designer) and Adrian Chew (awarded Best Sound Designer).
- Education: M.F.A. University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, Painting and Sculpture, Inter-area Degree
B.F.A. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX, Painting Concentration, cum laude, Juanita Pollard Art Scholarship Award.
Visiting Artist Sessions: Itawamba Community College, Fulton, MS; Lipscomb University, Nashville, TN; Union University, Jackson, TN
Center for Contemporary Arts, Abilene, TX.
Laissez-faire Art Gallery, Columbia, TN